Friday, April 11, 2008

Plea For Help



how could you let me die?
after giving me this life -
for you know that i am alive
from the day you concieve'.
dont judge me please
first get to know me
listen to my plea
give me my voice
my sex shouldn't matter
my resolve will not shatter
i am as good as a 'he'
i am no helpless 'she'
allow me my basic right
let me solve this plight
give me one chance
to prove my stance
a reason to be heard
thus spread the word
fearless let me fight
with all my might
my heart will take flight
the future will be bright
allow me this life
don't kill me please!

*****


A few weeks ago, a chance encounter got me aquainted with Roop Rai and her blog unchaahi where she talks of 'sex-selective abortion'. Thanks to Roop for taking me to her space. To my delight she requested me to write a few words regarding her cause, the fight againt female genicide in many countries including India. I have been thinking how best to spread this message across, it is a sad state of affairs but it happens and measures need to be taken to prevent it. I request all my readers to visit Roop's site and contirbute your thoughts in the best way you can. There's lots of information here. I believe in her cause.

I also thought this fit the prompt at ReadWritePoem to 'speak freely' on behalf of those who cannot voice their issues. A female foetus in my opinion is the least fortunate and if one could speak, I am sure her plea would be heart rendering.
This looks to fit my Sunday Scrbblings prompt as well as WI prompt. And finally for Michelle's prompt, I choose my favorite words as the highlighted ones. These last three pieces I fit in as I wanted this voice to be heard by maximum number of people.

33 comments:

Anya Padyam said...

This is just awesome!!! I don't have words to describe how well you have put it. Bravo!

Head Cookie said...

You did a great job with this post. Nicely done

Compassion Unlimitted said...

very touching UL
TC
CU

Gemma Wiseman said...

Poetry is a wonderful way to spread an important message. It gives a sense of music and thereby lingers.

Great post.

Gemma

Crafty Green Poet said...

Its a serious issue, you're right, I'll go to Roop's site now

paisley said...

the poetry was well put together.. i had no doubt as to the cause as i began to read.. thank you for the info on roop rai,, i will check it out...

anthonynorth said...

A vitally important issue raised with well selected words.
Excellent!

Anonymous said...

Thanks UL for your strong words and passion. When I read the prompt for Read Write Poem I had similar thoughts as well.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I am with you! Well said.

Dr. Ally Critter said...

Very beautiful...
I would like to post it on the Unchaahi blog( full credits to you of course) Could you send me the poem, Will link to the blog also
mail at magistermundisum@gmail.com

anamika said...

Excellent post, UL..very touching!

qualcosa di bello said...

your brave voice on behalf of the innocent is admirable! beautifully expressed...

Linda Jacobs said...

Very effective! Can't believe things like this happen!

poefusion said...

You've done a very nice job giving voice to something you believe in strongly. Good luck~ Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

The girl child is a neglected lot. I work for girls and know what the face each day of their lives!

shapely ghosts

Anonymous said...

How can female genicide have a place in civilised society? You write in such a moving way about this dreadful situation.

Tammy Brierly said...

I know a couple who did this in the US for $3000. Great job with your message UL!

Rambler said...

thanks a lot UL for spreading awareness through this prompt..it would be lovely if more people get to read and spread more awareness

Patois42 said...

What a horrible practice. I hope we can all make a difference.

Sian said...

Brilliant UL, painful, brave and brilliant.
*hug*

Roop Rai said...

:)

am speechless as usual, ul. remarkable. and thank you. really. thank you very much. i shall post it as soon as i get back on track. just got back today and have about 30 emails to write back and lots of other work-related backlog. shall soon get back to Unchaahi. it has long been neglected. thank you very much once again.

Tumblewords: said...

True. Some time back I wrote a piece delineating what happens with a sex-biased abortion. Girl children have always been expendable and not much has changed in many places even when the results of such action creates untold problems in other areas. Amazing!

totomai said...

the voice of unborn child.. will it be ever heard? really powerful poem..

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree... the consequences of such a practice as sex-selective abortion are unimagineable really...
This was very heartfelt and I loved that you did it from the fetus' perspective.

Anonymous said...

It does fit the prompt, very well! It's so sad to think of ending a pregnancy based on the sex of the fetus. How must the mother feel about herself in that case? Wow.

Anonymous said...

The irony is that in many countries in the world which currently practice sex-selective abortion the number of men in future generations disproportionately outweighs the number of women as a result. So in the future the birth rate will drop and in many cases, retreat. No women = no babies. It's a shame people can't see this as one of the ramifications and learn to value female children.

Robin said...

It stuns me that this still happens even now at the dawn of the 21st century. It shouldn't (stun me), but it does.

Edward S Gault said...

This the best poem I've seen that deals with this subject.
Excellent!

Edward S Gault said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gemma Wiseman said...

You would think the days of this barbaric insanity would be over.

Gemma

Unknown said...

UL,

This is so touching. I have tears in my eyes right now. At home, we were always encouraged to do what we wanted to do, never discouraged because we were girls. In fact, my birth was celebrated with much pomp in my dad's family. However I do know families where the girls are illtreated, just because they are girls and also not given equal oppurtunities.

You have put across so much emotion and feeling in this poem, it made me speechless.

Sorry for the long comment, but I was totally moved.

Lakshmi

Anonymous said...

That was so well written UL! You surprise me every time, more like stun me :)

ren powell said...

I keep wondering what will happen when all these boy babies grow up to want babies of their own. Not many mommies to go around in the end.