Friday, December 28, 2007

Merry Xmas!



Her eyes brightened and twinkled as she caught sight of the wrapped package under the lighted Christmas tree. Until the night before, our pine stood tall and majestic beautifully adorned with tinsel, bells and jewel. But on Christmas morning there was a single unopened gift under the tree, a small package with silver and blue snow-like wrapping topped off with a glittery bow. Curiosity had her rushing forth first, before coming to a full halt to look up at me in question.

‘Go on, squirt, it’s Christmas day, you can open your pressie’

The glee filling her face made me wish I had a camera handy. She flashed me her million watt smile and sprinted toward the gift.
What followed would remain in my memory for a long time to come. She picked up her very first Christmas gift almost in reverence, ripped the paper wrapping in excitement and then gasped. Yes, just gasped. The loud merry gasp from my two year old was music to my ears.

‘Foggie’ she whispered as though she couldn’t believe her eyes.

I couldn’t help the laugher that waltzed out of me as she hugged the wooden musical keepsake of a frog strumming a guitar.

‘Yes, it’s a froggie indeed, my love!’ I said as I picked her and swung her around in delight.

The 'froggie' smiled and continued to play the guitar in tune to our quick mambo.
##################################
In response to the prompt from Fiction Friday
at Write Stuff.
****
Also presenting this to the prompt from
Weekend Wordsmith.
##################################

7 comments:

Keith Hillman said...

What a lovely story. It's these simple memories that stay with you all your life.

Unknown said...

Aww this is quite endearing.

Cranky and Difficult said...

What a great blog! I'm linking to you right now, I hope that's ok!

PJD said...

Nice take on the guitar prompt. Not sure if this is a mom or a dad, but I want to learn more about the family since there's only the single present there and only the two of them in the scene. It's a sweet scene, and I can hear her breathing "foggie" when she sees it. Little fingers wrapped around the figurine.

Anonymous said...

What a delightful story. Quite sweet.

Jodi Cleghorn said...

I know what you mean by the million watt smile. Images of Kermit playing the bango in the swamp readily sprang to mind. Thanks for sharing!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Welcome to Weekend Wordsmith. Aren't stories about our children wonderful? Thanks for sharing.