Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sirshasana


I - Inhale

my forearms push the earth down:
shoulders carry me up with a frown-
burden shifts away from the crown.


II - Exhale

heart and spirit, will not disappoint:
balance and poise, one focal point-
a vertical line, from joint to joint.

III - Breathe

tippy toes fly toward the sky:
the focus is set, gravity i defy-
heady feeling lifts me up high!
different world, from here i spy
my mind rejoices, how i could fly!
****

I have always had this fear of falling over every time I shifted my weight in the other direction. You know the head down, feet up variety. Yeah, I am talking upside down. But I believe in practice and I am a sucker for yoga. So lately I have been suppressing fear or at least trying to suppress my fear to get up on my head. I can do it against a wall, but that’s cheating as many of my peers have told me. The last couple of days I have tried head-stand smack in the middle of a room, fallen over plenty of times too, but I spy victory at last. I think I have learnt to curb my fear and also hold the posture for a few seconds, only seconds. My fear and focus often brings me rolling down - sometimes with a little poise :) Wanted to write about it here, so that I will push harder and practice some more. Also wanted to thank a friend who taught me the right way. Plus this is my seventh day contribution for the poetry month of April. On to my eighth.

3 comments:

Mampi said...

Compliments on accomplishing the feat(s)

Scribbler said...

Seconds accumulate to minutes and then to hours. Sheersaasana for a couple of seconds? For some of us mere mortals, that's like climbing Everest. So congratulations, Tensing!

Anya Padyam said...

Yoga used to be a staple activity in school! until a few years ago... Not anymore...

Used to be able to do shirsana and halasana with ease :)