Saturday, December 8, 2007

Competition



I am always undecided about the word competition and all that it represents. Often, competition is the root cause for many other evils. For a wavering medium like the human mind, I believe competition is dangerous. Here are some thoughts that crossed my mind and flew into print at the thought of ‘Competition’.



Winner

Making calculated moves,
Considering probable risks
One step ahead, body and mind.

Fair play and honesty
Defines competition healthy.

Tortoise similar, signs of a winner.


Loser

Hare like, leaps and jumps.

Stab in the back, suppressed jealousy.
Strong versus weak, unequal, fight unhealthy.

Fraudulent routes, devious trickster
Wounded pride, backlash with anger
Through lying means -signs of a loser.


******

What category do you think you belong to?




################################
In response to the prompt from Sunday Scribblings
###############################

12 comments:

Lucy said...

hi UL good comparisons. I Know I am a winner baby! I even LOOK like a turtle! :))

Beau Brackish said...

I think healthy competition is a mental and physical challenge one puts themselves to give it there all to reach their full potential. It you succeed in doing the best you possibly can, you have won. The rest is just one big crapshoot.

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, no way will I tell! Grin. Nicely done, UL. I like your take on these divergent competitive ploys!

paisley said...

oh very nice.. i love the ascending and descending lines... excellent....

Mad Kane said...

Well don! I think you really got to the heart of those words. Mad Kane

Robin said...

Very creative take on the prompt.

I think a bit of competition is healthy, but it must be kept in proportion.

Rob Kistner said...

I've been in each category at one time in my life or another... probably will be again.

rel said...

ul,
Golly, the word/term competition is so ambiguous to me. Certainly there are advocates for the positive as well as the negative cogitations of the word.
For my self I like to dwell on the positive conotation; i.e. that competition brings our personnal bests to the surface and keeps mediocrity at bay.
I perfer to do my best to satisfy me not to be better than the other guy.
You've layed the full platter out for each to chose that which they ascribe to.
Well done!
rel

gautami tripathy said...

It depends. We can belong to either depending on circumstances.

Devil Mood said...

eheh that was good!

I'm not sure I'm like the tortoise, I tend to jump around, but I don't stab anyone in the back, that's my guarantee :)

awareness said...

If I'm engaged in the competition...if it is something I want to rise to that challenge for, I'm in there giving it my all...... trying my best. It's all we can do really.

If it is something I'm not particulary interested in.......I simply walk away.

We have to pick the hills we compete for don't we??

Linda Jacobs said...

It's funny but the first thing that popped into my head when I read this prompt was the tortoise and the hare, too!

Good poems!